Surprisingly, even something like concern over the economy has an effect on design trends. But it’s not what you may think. Most recently, people have been longing for and remembering the days of the past—heirloom colors and distressed finishes are now a very popular home décor trend.
The use of aged, heirloom colors and distressed finishes remind people of the past and they’re finding their way into home décor themes.
You can add small touches of aged and heirloom color finishes and feels to your home. Try these simple décor concepts:
• Change or repurpose old furniture instead of throwing it away. It may already look distressed, making it easier to get in line with this trend. If needed, use painting techniques or even try sanding away those old paint trends to create the look you want now.
• Find those old keepsakes and accent pieces you’ve stored away for safekeeping. Instead bring them out and display them proudly. Family heirlooms will always be in style!
• Live simply. Ironically, living simply is the current “trend” that was once a way of life. Get back to that place not only for your design wallet, but for the environment and our earth’s future.
• When you do decide to make new purchases, select the accent pieces that can be used in a variety of ways. This type of decor not only changes with time, but with your tastes as well.
• Check out Gold Canyon’s holders (pictured below) for seven versatile holders each with their own distinctive design, but the same quality rustic finish—perfect for your heirloom and distressed finished décor.